Organisation of structure and process along with leadership and leadership concepts respectively can be found in operating companies and institutions as well as within the social framework of an orchestra.
The musicans and conductor on the one side and the staff members and manager on the other.
In contrast to the manager of a company or institution, the conductor can verify the quality of his decisions and react to them immediatetly by listening to the orchestra.
Orchestra leadership is an apparent example of leadership in fast motion.
Aspects of the
permanent challenge that leaders ( managers and conductors) are facing in order to receive certain results and inputs by staff members and musicians are as follows:
- nature and footing of natural authority
- delegation of responsibility in terms of time and quantity
- establishment of a team or a collective sound respectively
- encouragement of and calling for a group dynamics and individual performances
- collective decisions versus top down decisions
The aspect of fast motion especially makes an orchestra a perfect mirror image of operational organisation, leadership and decision making behavior.
This is one of the essentials objectives in Wolfgang Heinzel`s talk, which he, as a conductor, gives together with a principal orchestra player as co-moderator.
The talk can be given in English, German and French.